4am Deep Thoughts…
Can’t sleep. I have this thought in my head that I can’t shake. It’s been there for about 7 years or so. Tonight it seems to be fighting for some attention and so I can’t sleep.
See I have a bunch of books on Christian Living… Christian Parenting, how to be a Titus 2 Woman, how to be a Proverbs 31 wife & mom… then some more books on Christian Finances and let’s throw in some Christian Homemaking/Housekeeping books just for good measure. Now all of these are wonderful books, great books. But here’s my problem…
All these books have ONE foundation…the Bible.
Millions of books have been written about the Bible and what God’s Word says. Yet ALL that information and then some are still INSIDE the Bible. When I first became a Christian back in 1994, I heard someone say that 90% of the average Christians out there have never read the entire Bible. I wonder how many Christians are out there who have never read the Bible in its entirety, but have devoured Christian books?
Shouldn’t we be firmly grounded in the Word of God before we add in other Christian Living books? And then, when adding other books, we should continue to maintain a firm foundation in the Word. Other books should be the “icing on the cake”.
I get so caught up in looking for the “perfect book”. The one that will change me overnight into a godly, loving, wonderful, and productive wife/mother/daughter/sister/friend… and yet I overlook it each day. I may read through it here & there through the day (or not), but I’m NOT immersing my self in it as I should be.
I get too caught up with other thoughts like: “I need to go research what other Christians say about (insert issue here), so that I can make up my mind as to what to think about it.” Ok, so I don’t actually say or think all that exactly… but you get the point. Instead of seeking God and His leading/guidance… I seek out other Christians. And God does speak to me through them, through the Christian Living books and other ways… but I think He does that ONLY because I’m not opening up His Word. Instead of getting the message straight from Him and His Book… I get a 2nd hand version from another Christian.
Not sure if I’m making any sense here… It’s almost 5am and I’m very tired. And now that I have my thoughts out here online, maybe I can sleep. :o)
See I have a bunch of books on Christian Living… Christian Parenting, how to be a Titus 2 Woman, how to be a Proverbs 31 wife & mom… then some more books on Christian Finances and let’s throw in some Christian Homemaking/Housekeeping books just for good measure. Now all of these are wonderful books, great books. But here’s my problem…
All these books have ONE foundation…the Bible.
Millions of books have been written about the Bible and what God’s Word says. Yet ALL that information and then some are still INSIDE the Bible. When I first became a Christian back in 1994, I heard someone say that 90% of the average Christians out there have never read the entire Bible. I wonder how many Christians are out there who have never read the Bible in its entirety, but have devoured Christian books?
Shouldn’t we be firmly grounded in the Word of God before we add in other Christian Living books? And then, when adding other books, we should continue to maintain a firm foundation in the Word. Other books should be the “icing on the cake”.
I get so caught up in looking for the “perfect book”. The one that will change me overnight into a godly, loving, wonderful, and productive wife/mother/daughter/sister/friend… and yet I overlook it each day. I may read through it here & there through the day (or not), but I’m NOT immersing my self in it as I should be.
I get too caught up with other thoughts like: “I need to go research what other Christians say about (insert issue here), so that I can make up my mind as to what to think about it.” Ok, so I don’t actually say or think all that exactly… but you get the point. Instead of seeking God and His leading/guidance… I seek out other Christians. And God does speak to me through them, through the Christian Living books and other ways… but I think He does that ONLY because I’m not opening up His Word. Instead of getting the message straight from Him and His Book… I get a 2nd hand version from another Christian.
Not sure if I’m making any sense here… It’s almost 5am and I’m very tired. And now that I have my thoughts out here online, maybe I can sleep. :o)
I will leave you all with a few links:
By God’s grace,
Alicia




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home