Thursday, April 14, 2005

"Our Boys" a poem by Lesa Williams


Our Boys
by Lesa Williams

One little, two little, three little Indians
As the old song goes,
Hardly describes the activities
Coming from our little arrows

A smile comes to my heart
When I open the dryer door
Of forgetting once again
To empty my little boys drowers (an old word for pants)

Out fall nails, rocks, marbles,
22 casings and more.
Things you can't buy in the
Best of toy stores!

"Mom! Come look what I found"
Says a proud little voice.
I knew by his smile
I had no choice.

He takes me by the hand
Leading to a big green bin
I used it for storage, but,
It was a nice home to put his snake in.

"Oh NO! More stitches!" I said,
With a fearful sigh,
"Only battle wounds, Mom" he said,
As another tear falls from my eye.

Raising boys, never a dull day.
They never slow down,
Constantly praying for them
Is what keeps my mind sound.

Soon the years will be over,
You'll wonder where they went.
Being there to embrace their boyhood
Will prove to be time well spent.

You don't want to change them,
Why should you try?
After all, when manhood hits,
They'll be ready to fly!

All the jeans with the
Holes in the knees
Will just be memory for
It's Jesus we want them to please.

Just let them be boys,
Getting dirty, muddy and wet.
Your job is to teach and train them,
Not change his design to which he is set.

Set by our Lord,
He has designed them to be,
For the most part,
Tough, strong and sturdy.

Rocks and wild flowers,
To you let them bring
For soon enough
He will desire to be priest, prophet and king.

Tell them from the time
They are very young
What to expect of them,
To fear the Lord and to God they belong.

To love Jesus with all their
Heart, soul, and might,
To hold on to their faith
And to never give up in the darkest of night.

Show them how much
You love their dear Dad.
Give Dad the highest respect
And stability they will have.

Let them see your tears
And comfort them when they are sad.
You'll prepare their hearts for compassion,
And, when they do wrong, to feel bad.

I could go on and on,
As I think of all the years with my boys.
The antics they've played
And the things of mine they've destroyed!

It is time to stop,
So, pray with all your might.
Give them lots of hugs, and,
With God's hand, they'll turn out all right.

~Lesa Williams (mom & poet to 10 boys & 2 girls)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home














free hit counter
God's grace is stronger than the pull of sin! www.settingcaptivesfree.com